Thursday, April 21, 2011

Break It Down, Now.

Let's break it down:

I wrestle.

Not  literally.

But I wrestle every day. I wrestle with the selfish thoughts in my head. The selfish attitudes I want to show. The words that come out of my mouth. The type of wife I am REALLY being to my husband. The example I am showing my daughter *stab me in the heart*

I struggle between this tight rope. One end is pulling me to give in to my own desires, to focus on my happiness and my wants. The other is pulling me towards Jesus. Trying to pull me across this imaginary line from self serving to serving selflessly. 

To serve selflessly I must:
*Read my bible and pray. Simple, but why is it so hard?
*Put my husbands wants and needs above my own: I am HIS helpmate...he is not mine. I am called to serve him with a servant's heart. I must, I must, I must.
*Say, "it's my pleasure."  and mean it!
*Turn the computer off and get on the floor with my daughter. Play with her, teach her, mold her. Focus my full attention on her.

I know that once I can stop focusing so much on ME ME ME, the Lord will give me all that I need to fill the void that I try and satisfy on my own, daily. Make sense?

The Lord has brought to my attention a lot of me that needs fixin'. It makes me want to hide.
But I won't.

17 comments:

Four Flights said...

I think we all struggle with this. Thank you for being honest about it. :)

Rags to Stitches Blog said...

Such a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing. I totally struggle with this too. I need to be better about not being selfish with my time and energy.

LittleGreenThread said...

I love how honest you are. This is a struggle I know all too well! I feel like I am constantly "reminding" myself to make selfless choices. It doesn't come naturally, or easily, to put ourselves last. But it's something I strive for, and something I'm willing to allow the Lord to change in me. I love you so much my sweet, sweet friend!

TessBenson said...

Im right there as well, and im constantly using the excuse "Im pregant. Im tired. Im sore. Im Im Im Im"....... thanks friend for your post.

CaseyWiegand said...

Oh girl. Me too. It's literally a daily battle!

James & Aimee said...

Have you been reading my journal? Hmmm...ok so I don't have one but if I did you read all about me struggling with the same stuff! My fix was having 3 kids- I don't have nearly as much time or energy to think about myself ;) j/k...i still struggle with this! Love you and praying for you my friend!

myriahmae said...

This is a hard struggle that I too face daily (well not the kids part, but definitely the husband part) its a struggle to selflessly serve. Wonderful post

sarah said...

so good, thanks for sharing!...we all need to hear this and consider those things.

Sara said...

Way to go Nico! I love you!

Katherine said...

You are so brutally honest about YOU that it puts the rest of to shame for not willingly admitting our own selfishness! You are a beautiful wife and mom and you definitely are setting an example for the rest of us!

Laurie J said...

amen. my heart, too, speaks these words!
<3

amycornwell said...

Awesome! I needed this today. I think just about every woman struggles with this exact thing. Thank you for being vulnerable!

Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

Friend, it is such a constant struggle. Ugh - wish it wasn't. Great post, girlie!! XO!

Unknown said...

This is something I always have to work on!! I don't think this can ever be mastered, Maybe with the help of the Lord!!

Jacob Austell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrienne said...

You hit the nail right on the head! This is the same thing I think every mother and wife battles with. I am not sure if you have read any of my stuff on Maximize you Mornings but I recommend you check it out. It is basically a short ebook on how to start your day with God and plan your day and week out. http://inspiredtoaction.com/resources/hellomornings/
Thanks for you honesty in your posts! Love you.

ragamuffinbeauties said...

Such a sweet honest post. Thank you for being transparent and genuine. I needed the reminder myself.