Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sweet Lovin'- A Tutorial: Fabric Heart Flower

Hi! Welcome to the first day of my new Sweet Lovin' series. Every day until Feb. 14, I will be posting on love or hearts or Valentine's Day related things. I'm excited to get this started. This is my first series on this blog and I hope I can stick with it.

I am not a fan of Valentine's Day, I don't really know why, I just dread it. So hopefully this series will get me in the "mood" for the holiday.

A tutorial for you!
FABRIC HEART FLOWERS
Wanna make one? They're really easy!

Your supplies:
Glue Gun
Fabric
Scissors
Pins
3x5 card or cardstock
Pin
Jewels
and hair clips or pins for the back (not pictured)


Step 1: Draw 2 halves of a heart shape on the edge of your card. One a little smaller than the other.

Step 2: Cut them Out!

Step 3: Fold your fabric accordian style and pin the layers together.


Step 4: Place your cut out half heart on the edge of the accordian fabric, as shown below. Trace the heart. Do this a couple times with the same heart shape, then repeat with the smaller heart shape. You will need about 7 of the bigger hearts and 6 of the smaller hearts.

See the shapes all traced.
Step 5: Cut them out.
Step 6: Cut out a small circle. Now glue the bigger hearts one by one all around the circle, over lapping as you go.

Continue to overlap the hearts until the circle is completely covered and you have no more big hearts.

It should look something like this.

Step 7: Do the same overlapping and gluing with the smaller hearts directly ontop of the larger hearts.
(You can be creative here, by choosing a different fabric to layer ontop or a different textured fabric would be nice too.)

I am showing you a variation below. After I layered the smaller hearts, I used another fabric to layer on top of that.



The end result after all the gluing and layering

Now add a jewel or button or whatever to the middle to complete the pretty flower.


I put a hair clip on the back and attached it to one of my daughter's knit caps. I LOVE it! So fun and girly and screams Valentine's day!!




There you have. You're very own fabric heart flower. Now go make some and in different colors and in your own style. These would be so cute to giveaway to all the girls in your daughters class or to all her friends.
Thank you for reading the first post. More to come.
Tomorrow we will be talking about Love Notes. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Jessica Jacobs said...

I love the way you cut the fabric, so that you only have to do it once, I never would have thought of that

TessBenson said...

Very Cute Nicole!

Katherine said...

Cute, very cute!

darbyc said...

Very cute hat. I love just how neat and precise you make the instructions. Also love the model! Our baby Kins is a cutie in that hat! I don't know why you dread Valentine's day. Everyday is Valentine's day in your house. A house that is filled with so much love! Love you guys.