Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sweet Lovin'- Love Notes

For all you married people, do you remember what it was like when you were dating your husband? Did you guys surprise each other with little gifts or love letters? Did you plan fun and exciting dates for your {many} milestones... first date, first kiss, year anniversary?

My Honey and I would write each other notes and leave them on our cars, we would surprise each other with a room full of balloons and flowers, we would buy each other gifts just because.

We have now been together for 7 1/2 years and 4 1/2 years of that, married. The notes are now few and far between and the surprises are once in a while for a birthday or anniversary. We have gotten use to our life together, a routine which is lovely in and of itself. I want to bring back those kind, loving notes and surprises. More so on my end, Daniel will leave me notes around the house way more than I do for him.

The words we say to our loved ones, not just our husbands, but to our parents, friends, children, etc. can build up or tear down. It's important we realize how strong our tongue can be.

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." James 3:9

One minute we are singing praises to our Lord and worshiping with our whole heart and the next minute we are criticizing our husbands for the way her drives or for not doing something OUR way.

My friends, we need to be aware of the words that come out of our mouth.
We need to think before we speak.
We need to build our spouse up and encourage him to be the man that God has made him to be. Yes, they will mess up. Yes, we will be hurt. Yes, we will get angry. But in those moments, how do we speak? Do we allow our tongue to go wild without thinking of the hurt we could cause or do we, seek the Lord, ask for council, then speak with Love?

I am very guilty of giving my tongue full reign over my body, just ask my husband. I write this not only to you, but mainly to myself. I want to choose my words wisely and be a source of encouragement and love for my husband. I ask you to join me. Let's start this February! A great and fun way to do so, is through a simple note.

This doesn't have to be only for married couples, but you could write encouraging notes to your friends, parents, or coworkers.

Start with a simple note. Tell him what you appreciate, why you love him, something you have noticed that he has done for you over the past couple days. Be specific. Write something that you know he would love to hear. Leave it somewhere for him to find or just give it to him... and run away {jk}.


Write him a quick little note on his napkin if you make him lunch. If you don't make him lunch, do so one day and leave a note. Something sweet, encouraging, loving and maybe a little shocking will go a long way.

I usually put Daniel's letters to me on our fridge so I can be reminded of his kind words every time I'm in the kitchen. Leave a small note for him to find maybe on top of his pillow, in his sock drawer, on the fridge, on the TV remote... anywhere for a little sweet surprise.

A great idea that one of my girl friends suggested was to start a couples journal. Now, this may not fly for your husband, but you never know.
Here's how it works: Share a journal. One person writes to the other person in the journal. You can use this as a tool to communicate any misunderstandings, issues, or concerns you may have. Or you could use this to tell him what a great job as a Dad he is doing, or how you are so blessed by how hard he works at his job. After you are done with your letter, leave a rock or something on top of the journal that lets the other person know you have a letter ready to read. It is then their turn to read and respond.
Just another way to communicate.


I want to encourage you to use your words as if they are precious gold. Because once you have said something you can never take it back. You can apologize and move on, but those words can never be unheard again.
I challenge you to write someone a note today... make it fun! Here's a good start: "I love how you..."
Stay tuned tomorrow, we will have many fun homemade Valentine tutorials!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I soooo needed your encouragement and wise words!!!! THANK YOU for being an encourager to many! (me especially!)

Katherine said...

Whoops . . .gotta run and write a LOVE note!!!!!!